Bubble Dress

Sewn for Project Run & Play’s January Challenge:

DSC_2460 DSC_2433DSC_2457

Pattern: Based on Alida’s Bubble Dress plus the bodice from Sew Easy Being Green with very small changes to the shape of the neckline.


Fabric: Wool blend from Ragtime Fabrics. Bought it to make myself a skirt, but decided it’d be a great bubble dress. I might actually still have enough to make myself a skirt… if I wanted to match my four-year-old…. which I might. The lining, also from Ragtime, was a total nightmare. Just fraying all over the place. Even though I cut the bodice and lining at the same time, the lining came out ridiculously off-kilter and way too small. So I used my handy-dandy new piping foot to make this green piping (first time ever making my own piping) to finish it up. Love the purple & green, especially on the back (which I considered calling the front).


Problems: Oh my word, figuring out the right side/wrong side/inside/outside business. I thought it through over and over and in the end… the lining is inside out (so those fraying edges… yeah, totally exposed. But I’ll finish them off).

Lottie’s Response: “Mommy, I LOVE IT!” Happy to put it and refused to take it off. Also I let her jump on the bed.


Overall, I just adore it. I make it large enough that she can wear it with a turtle neck underneath so it should work for winter and spring, if she’ll just stop growing. This is a 4T, and it fits pretty well. For now.


14 thoughts on “Bubble Dress

  1. Pingback: Valentine’s Georgia Vintage | Sewn

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s